[THIN] Re: Web Interface Query - NetBT Errors

  • From: "Foote, Eric" <EFoote@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:16:55 -0400

Just a side note here:

Be sure that you understand the implications of making this change on a
permanent basis.
The TTL's purpose in life is to reduce the overhead of DNS queries from the
client's transaction perspective, reduce the load on the DNS servers and
provide the ability for the client to sustain functionality during a DNS
outage.

The refresh time for the domain is also significant if you have a multi-tiered
DNS structure (internal or external).  If you change the TTL on an "A" record
at the domain primary but the downstream DNS servers are only updating once/day
because domain refresh is set to 86400, the downstream clients will not see the
change until the downstream DNS server refreshes from the primary.

DNS is one of those services that you really need to spend some time on
understanding, the implications of a misconfigured domain can be disasterous.
Microsoft has done a great job of making DNS "invisible" and "simple" and many
admins don't take the time to really understand how it works.

Eric

Eric M. Foote
Detroit Medical Center
Intel Server Group Leader