[THIN] Re: WI published app launch link

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:16:07 -0000

Don't think so - not with the way that WI works in its current
implementation. With WI as it stands you've essentially got 2 stages - an
authentication stage, and an authenticated stage. You didn't used to have
this, but then security on early versions of WI was flaky and there was no
CSG with all its lovely ticketing to cater for.

The authentication stage displays the WI logon page. Once the punter has
submitted appropriate details and they're authenticated they're in the
'authenticated' stage. This stage allows access to authenticated objects
that can be manipulate to display and launch apps with the correct ticket
information to launch apps via CSG.

This authenticated stage is accessed using WI's authentication filter and
relies on java components on the web server that are installed as part of
the WI installation. So, I think you've got two options - run in the
existing browser window (which is the standard way of doing it), or start a
new child browser window and run the process in there (which is what you're
dev guys do now).  This is because you need to be making use of these
preinstalled components to set up a page containing the correct information
that can be sent to the the local browser, which can then be used to submit
a properly formatted request back to the web server to launch the
application.

I suppose to get the functionality you describe you could try creating a
child window 'off screen' so the  user doesn't see the process taking place.
Doesn't readily allow for displaying of error messages and status
information mind if the process fails mind.

A more detailed guide to the latest WI is the pretty comprehensive WI SDK -
which can be found here -
http://apps.citrix.com/cdn/sdk/default.asp#webinterface.

  _____