[THIN] Re: VMWare or not ¿?

  • From: Chris Buechler <thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:55:17 -0400

David wrote:

well, we want to gain better performance (as most of partners saiy), not only for citrix but all of servers (like print servers, db server, notes server, etc...) in order to reduce a lot of machine into one, two, or three.
and taking advantadge of it, integrate citrix as well.

There are a lot of good reasons to virtualize, but "better performance" is absolutely NOT one. I virtualize as many servers as possible, but would never virtualize any production Citrix servers. There's a significant performance hit, much worse than most work loads from what I've seen.

Anybody that's telling you that virtualization will improve performance has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. If you're moving from an old 500 MHz server to a new 3+ GHz server it will, but not moving from physical to virtual on similar hardware.

It has overhead, but for workloads that are suitable, that doesn't matter since if you installed them on a physical server they would be using very little of the resources. Heavily utilized machines, like possibly a Notes server or a database server, are generally poor candidates for virtualization. You want the machines that aren't using much resources on the existing physical hardware.