[THIN] Re: VMWARE and Citrix

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:08:16 -0700

I have two ESX servers.
One VM - development, 7 (4 VMS per 2 CPU 2.6GHZ, 1GB RAM per VM) -
production. 3 of VMs are running MetaFrame XP on Win2K. Built all flavors of
Win2K images ? very easy to jumpstart new VM, test and drop changes or
delete ?used? image. Ghosting works best to transfer images between servers.

Although I did not run rigorous benchmarks, ESX servers (in my case)loose
about 25% to 50% in performance versus direct Win2K install depending on the
environment.

The only issue I had was networking -- hardcoding GB nics did not work. To
my surprise MetaFrame (MS Office XP, .Net tools) as well as SQL Server, IIS,
SharePoint Portal server perform quite well. NFuse Elite was tested as well
-- some instability was not associated with VMWARE.

We are buying GSX server now -- a better choice for development environment
when hardware compatibility and more connectivity choices are required.

Verdict? Perfect for development/testing environment. A good choice for
remote deployments (plenty of redundancy, supports clustering; makes an
unkillable system if coupled with Compact Lights-Out board). However VM
servers are not inexpensive -- use workstation (or several workstations) if
simple testing of deployment procedures or code is required.

ALEX