[THIN] Tip of the Week: Windows Update Crashes

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:37:37 -0400

Have you ever been on a PC that when you are trying to run Windows Update
and scan for updates and the site refuses to load the needed updates?

I had a machine the other day that had problems when using Windows Update.
You could scan for updates it would go to 100 % but then it would say there
was a problem and I could not load any of the updates.

I followed the link to the Windows Update troubleshooter page and found that
the problem was with something called the XML Parser. The link for the
Parser on the help page is dead but I found the proper one and it is posted
below.  I reinstalled the XML Parser and Windows Update worked again!

The direct download for the file is at
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d24956
1629c/msxml.msi

With information on it being at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-
b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft has a page to troubleshoot the Windows Update site at:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
http://thethin.net