[THIN] Re: Talk to like I'm a 4 year old

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:00:22 -0500

This might be a little rusty (from memory), but should help some.  Take
a few minutes and visit citrix.com and look for the MF 1.8 admin guide
whitepaper...all of this is explained in exact detail.

Once that user clicks on the published app (word) icon (let's assume
you're not using Nfuse) the client sends a broadcast message to one of
your Citrix servers.  That server will return the address of the ICA
Master browser to the client.  The client then contacts the Master
browser machine, and authenticates with it.  This is where load
balancing kick in:  The ICA Master browser has a list of all servers
that have the word application published, so it will send the client the
address of the server with the least load (according to the load
balancing configuration).  The client will then connect directly to the
appropriate Citrix server...runs the userlogon.cmd...then the logon
script (specified in User Manager).  <that is a high level view>

It may not run if you are using some type of application security that
is not configured, or if User Manager is incorrect, or if the registry
has been badly messed with.

HTH,

Paul DeHaan CCNA, CCA...
Network Administrator
J.M. Huber Corp.

>>> rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/20/02 12:54PM >>>
You know how days go, where absolutely nothing sinks in.. well, today
is
one of them.

Can anyone explain to me, in simple terms how the process of using a
published app (MF1.8) works?  For example, we're using thin clients
and
they're not getting the domain login script.  So, I thought I'd delve
into the interprocessings to find out where it's bombing....

So, from a thin client, a user dbl clicks upon the published app, say
Word.  What happens next?  Does the request go to the citrix box, load
balancing takes over to determine what printer it's assigned to, then
go
to the DC to authenticate?  Is that so?  If so, how can I see why it's
not touching the DC, or is it?

We are using NT4.0 SP6a with MF1.8 SP3.

Thanks,
Rick

==
Rick Fogarty
Coordinator, Technical Support and Computer Servicing
Sandhills Community College
3395 Airport Rd
Pinehurst, NC 28374
1(910) 695-3943