[THIN] Re: Suggested Registry size

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:46:10 +1000

Hi,

Let's not confuse the profile file/directory size with the profiles registry
size footprint. Prifiles stored in the local documents and settings folder do
NOT contribute to registry size. Only logged on sessions do that.

The registry can get bloated if the machine software hive gets too big
(fragmentation, registry key gowth), you have too many users (each logged on
user's ntuser.dat size gets added to the total registry size) or the users
registry profile (ntuser.dat on disk) gets too big because of registry key
growth, eg per-user file associations.

On win2k you don't want a software hive over about 35 MB, and individual
ntuser.dat file sizes over about 1.2-1.5 MB. If they're bigger then you've got
some work to do.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack