[THIN] Re: Seamless Windows

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:28:34 -0500

We have kind of learned over the past 12 years of using Citrix in our
environment that the users DONT CARE where their app is coming from as long
as they can get to it and it loads in a reasonable time.

TS Gateway in 2008 is awesome and one of the greatest new features I think,
but their "seamless application publishing" feature called Remote Apps is
still a bit clunky.  It does work though and gives you the ability to just
publish apps instead of desktops.

 Citrix just offers so many more options at this point as far as HOW to
publish apps and a variety of clients.
However the ICA and RDP protocols have caught up with each in my opinion and
speed is not as much of a consideration to the mix any more.

With Server 2008 I think the average company can now get away with
publishing apps and not have a need for Citrix unless you want the added
feature set.  This is why Citrix has had to branch out into virtualization
and other "hardware" technologies.

Now grant it MS has also been hurdling into vitrualization but I feel that
it is for a very different reason and that is for backward compatibility as
they move forward.  Yeah they do want to compete in the market and yeah
virtualization is an IT managers dream come true but VMWare is so far ahead
in the game and such a beautiful thing! I just haven't played with XenServer
enough to offer an opinion on Citrix's take on Virtualization. But it is
still all about how much money do you really want to pay for your users to
be able to get to their apps.

Do you want to just use MS Server 2008, buy your TS licenses and be done
with it or do you want to get on the Citrix gray train and have to
continuously pay their SA fees so you can just get and keep the latest
updates?
JK

--
Jim Kenzig