[THIN] Re: Scaling.....1 big server, or a few smaller ones?

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <neil.braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:26:49 -0000

Well put, Bernd.

It is very true that some IT areas are clearly focussed on server
consolidation, and using numerous different tacks to try and achieve this.

The traditional comfort zone of thin client farms will not go unchallenged
forever.

Stability, scalability, garbage collection and co-existence that
historically been the factors that have influenced the evolution of the norm
to where it is now. If those factors are truly addressed - and in fairness,
over recent times there has been significant improvement in a lot of this,
don't expect the current comfort zone of preference to continue unchecked.

For it to be anything more than dogma, you have to understand how it got to
be where it is today - it has always been a compromise of convenience.

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,