[THIN] SOLUTION: Citrix please FIX THIS!!! Error 1606. Could not access network location components. On Ver 12 client

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: THIN <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, support@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:57:58 -0400

So I go to update my citrix web client on my Windows 7 Pro home computer to
the new version 12 Web Plugin.  I have a world of problems. I did uninstall
all previous versions. I run the install and get a grey popup and stop error
half way through that reads Error 1606. Could not access network location
components." So I am like WTF, I am installing this locally.

I cancel the install, delete anything with the word citrix from the registry
and my program files folder, try the install again...same problem.  I let it
go for a day and then tried it on my WIndows 7 workstation at work.  I got
the same stupid problem!! So now I am getting pissed and have to go out and
find a solution.   The only thing I could come up with on the Citrix site
was something about CSG that doesn't apply to me.  I searched some more and
found the below fix that worked at:
http://www.errorhelp.com/search/details/106189/error-1606-could-not-access-network-location-components

The "fix" involved renaming the Mozilla registry keys and then installing
the Citrix Client.
It worked first time and the client installed with no issues.  Obviously
there is something in the client that isn't playing nice with Mozilla.

Here is the text from the website and solution.

This was with the Citrix ICA client (XenApp). I resolved this by temporarily
renaming my Mozilla registry keys during the install and then renaming them
back. It seems to be a conflict with Firefox.

I closed Firefox and renamed

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\xMozilla
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\xMozilla

(notice the "xMozilla") and it hid the keys from the ICA client install and
worked fine.
 After the install you can rename it back.

Weird.

Jim Kenzig
http://www.kenzig.com