[THIN] Re: Restricting who can access citrix remotely

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:20:22 +0100

Are you possibly thinking of the access gateway's ability to have some sort
of host checking and end-point analysis?

The way I've done it in the past (without an access gateway) is to have
multiple WI & CSG boxes & include some additional tweaks.

Outside: CSG.External->WI.External

Internal: WI.Internal or CSG.Internal->WI.Internal

The internal/external WI can be hosted on the same server.

You can use the functions and information on Thomas Koetzing's excellent
resource site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6wgPN2CCg) to hide
folders/applications on the External Site; you can also specify who has
access to the WI site on a group level.

Also bear in mind you can modify a WI sites so that the client name for each
connection is overridden from the default. The default is to use the end
client's own name - but if you enable this feature each remote connection
gets a unique name (starting with WI).

You can change this prefix on a WI site by site basis
(http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111851

) so for example, the WI.External site has a prefix of EX_* and the
WI.Internal has a prefix of IN_*. You can then set policies that
enable/disable features based on an internal/external connection. Maybe for
internal you allow printing and local drive access, and for external you
don't

This way - internal users get a full set of apps, with one set of policies;
external users get a different set of apps (or a reduced set of apps) with a
different set of policies.