[THIN] Re: Resolution bandwidth comparison

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:20:06 -0700

Chad,

I suspect your developer is using 32-bit png files for icons. Tell him to explore 8-bit bitmaps. Another possibility ? developer is overdoing ?owner-drawn menus? which in your case are not rendered by Citrix with lossless compression.

Do not get me wrong - I would agree that it takes some effort to create nice looking apps in 256 colors for TS/Citrix environments. However 24-bit requirement is just ridiculous unless it is a sort of imaging application. And don?t be offended - I am directing this comment at your developer.

ALEX :)

From: "Schneider, Chad M" <CMSchneider@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Resolution bandwidth comparison
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:16:56 -0500

I have an app., being developed, that I have already changed from 256 colors
(all we typically require) to 16-bit color. Now, the developer is telling
me his menus are blurry in 16-bit color, I changed to 24-bit, as a test.
That is better. Now he wants to leave it at 24-bit. Can anyone tell me the
bandwidth comparison between 16-bit and 24-bit color usage in Citrix?

This weeks sponsor: Softricity
Attend Camp Virtualization - Softricity Virtualization Web Seminar Series - Featuring industry experts including Doug Brown, president of DABCC Consulting.Wednesday, 8/3, 12-1pm EDT: Virtualization in an Always-On, Mobile & Sometimes Disconnected World.
http://www.softricity.com/news/webinar-reg.asp?eventID=alwayson
********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com