[THIN] Re: Reduce size of default registry hive

  • From: aesterly <aesterly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:23:54 -0700

Ark,
 I am curious about your numbers and how it is that you are so definitive
about your totals. If you have a definitive resource for calculating the
registry size limits, I would love to know what that is. Also, I wasn't
aware that installing Terminal Services reduced the maximum allowed registry
size by more 50% across the board on a Windows 2000 server with 4 GB of
physical RAM installed. If you could point me in the direction of this data,
I would greatly appreciate learning more about it. I do know that PTEs are
set to maximum allowed when TS is installed, which in turn reduces the the
available page pool and thus reduces the potential maximum registry size.
However, I was not aware that this results in reducing the registry size
limit so dramatically.
 One comment I have about the data for PoolUsageMaximum registry value entry
that you have supplied. Should you find the need to adjust this setting, I
would suggest that a threshold of 48% is a very aggressive setting and would
propose a more conservative setting of starting with 70% (dword:00000046)
and working your way down to find an optimal balance. Forcing the server to
clean out the page pool too soon can decrease the efficiency of the page
pool and lead to other performance related issues.
 Alex