[THIN] Re: Please help

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:06:47 +1000

Hi,

Depending on how old the VB application is, if it's a VB 4 app there's a good
chance it will have a "feature" where more than 512 MB of RAN causes a memory
size counter overflow which gets you the "out of memory" error.

Access 97 has ths problem.

The terminal services kernel can be modified for an application so that it sees
less memory by defining application compatibility flags for an application.

The fix is quite simple with 2 easy solutions:

1.  get a copy of cmptman (different version for NT 4 TSE for win2k/2k3), add
an entry with the name of your VB executable (less the .exe extension) and tick
the "limit physical memory to 33554432 Bytes" and apply. This does the same
thing as the 2nd solution below without any reg editing.

2. Run regedt32 and create a new a key under HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
nt\currentversion\terminal server\compatibility\applications, for the
executable. For example for logserv.exe create a key called LOGSERV and copy
the values from the MSACCESS key to the LOGSERV key. This limits logserv.exe
from seeing more than 32 MB on initialisation.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems