[THIN] Re: PS4 printing

  • From: Brian Ehlert <brian.ehlert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:11:14 -0400

I posted this elsewhere - on the Citrix forums- but I thought that it
might help out a few people here as well...

Some behavior that I have noticed is printer 'garbage' staying in the
user's roaming profile which causes a number of problems with PS4
printing (specifically foiling the default printer that is declared in
a policy).

I am now running a registry mod in my login script to clean out the
user's printer registry settings - so that the PS4 printer policies
will actually work.
(I am cleaning almost all printer settings - I have this set to
execute only when the user logs into a Citrix server)

Additional observations-
If there are any printers hanging out in the user's ntuser.dat - those
will be the default every time - no matter what I declare in the
policy. (even if the printer and print server are not loaded into the
CMC)
Software\Microsoft\windowsNT\devices
(any printer here will be your default - no matter what your policies say)

The moment I open the ntuser.dat and clean the reg keys - the Citrix
policies prevail.

I also notice that PS4 policy created printers do not always show up
in the users TS profile.  They only seem to 'stick' in the profile if
the user has a disconnected session.  If the user session runs and
closes cleanly - I can open the ntuser.dat and there are no printers
(either during or after the session).

Then I have also noticed that the order that I list the printers in
the policy itself also matter.  The first created in the policy (if
the policy creates multiple printers) will be the default.

If one policy creates one printer (and last a default is set) that works fine.
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2