[THIN] Re: OT: high availability squid

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:41:10 -0400

On 4/18/05, Roger Riggins <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We need a proxy to get Websense to work properly with Citrix. I
> installed Squid for the first time fairly easily, but am wondering how
> it can be used in a fault tolerant or load balanced way.
>
> Are any of you doing this currently? I'm just looking for options.
I am not doing a load balanced/fault tolerant config with Squid yet
but it is certainly possible.

http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/book-full.html#AEN2386

Just have 2 or more A records in your DNS table for your cache server
hostname.  DNS will effectively "randomly" switch between the two
IP's. Giving you both load balancing and redundancy. Not very
sophisticated, but Squid supports all kinds of other options like the
2 cache servers comparing each others caches so they don't duplicated
the same objects. Plus  Cache Array Routing Protocol (CARP) is a very
sophisticated way of setting up which cache server your clients hit.
This is probably overkill for you. The DNS solution is very simple to
implement.

O' Reilly has an excellent book out on Squid by one of the principal
developer/architects of it.  Highly recommended.

http://squidbook.org/