[THIN] OT and not OT: New low-budget K-8 School Network

  • From: Steve Snyder <steven_snyder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Setting up a new network in a small, private Christian
school with a low-budget. Most of the existing PCs are
older, donated models, though mostly P-133s or better.
So my first thought is to buy a Dell server to use for
a Win2K terminal server, and then get the Win2K-pro
licenses that are free for donated PCs for schools,
thus saving me the expense of TSE CALs. Next, I can
get a loaded IBM netfinity 5500 which I plan on using
for file/print and Exchange. Last, I can get an HP LC3
and I was going to run ISA and WebSense with the Group
1 add-on.

Throw in a big UPS, Symantec Enterprise AV, ArcServe
and a switch, and I've got a complete 40-node network
for about $10K.

I'm also thinking that they'll want to do some sort of
attendance tracking, and centralized grades reporting,
as well as library inventory, and I'm totally clueless
as to what is out there, much less what will run well
on a terminal server.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone with pertinent
experience, especially network admins for schools, to
make sure that I'm not overlooking anything subtle or
blatant here. My main goals are reliability, keeping
the PCs and TSE locked-down, and safe internet browsing.

http://search.yahoo.com