[THIN] O/T Word 97 splash screen

  • From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:40:43 -0000

Hello

After about x number of years I have finally worked out how to do something
about the Word 97 splash screen.
Yes its a bit old but lots of people are still using it.

(I also have a little vbscript to remove the splash screen but this is slightly
limited in practice.)

Take a copy of wwintl32.dll from the Office directory.

Copy it to another folder and open it up with Resource Hacker ( available from
thethin.net )

The first Section is called Bitmap, Expand it by clicking on the 1 then the
1033 value.
Voila the Word 97 Splash screen !

I haven't worked out how to remove it completely but I have been experimenting
replacing it with Small Blank Bitmaps or Tiny bitmaps that consist of only a
tiny dot. Seems to work fine here.

To replace the bitmap highlight the Action key from the resource hacker toolbar
and select Replace Bitmap. The rest is obvious.

Hopefully someone else may find this useful. Its driven me nuts for 4 years!

regards