[THIN] Re: OT : Windows Performance Measure Query

  • From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:15:13 +0100 (BST)

Bernd, Tim etc. etc. thanks guy's - I guess we all know how (un)reliable
taskman and perfmon are for exact performance stat's but they are the only real
guide we have with regard to system usage - all other tools (incl. Apptrack I
just posted) relies on the underlying sub-system to get the info out of the box
- there is no other way !  However, IMHO the best way to ID poor performing
servers is the users themselves - they kick and scream big time if you have a
server issue.  True we monitor these stat's but for management - they are the
one's wanting the comfort blanket not the admins !   Mark

Bernd Harzog <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim,

Thanks for the insight. It is also my opinion that the issue lies not
just with the CPU metrics in task manager, but the very same ones in
PerfMon as well. They are both created by the same underlying process,
and are read from the same registry counters. The only difference is
that Task Manager accumulates some of them for you (like cumulative Page
Faults and cumulative CPU time since the process launched).

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software
678-455-5506 x701