[THIN] Re: OT: Virtualizing Windows 7

  • From: Carl Stalhood <cstalhood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:31:33 -0500

As of July 1, VDA is the replacement for VECD.

When doing VDI, you don't have to license the Windows that is installed in
the virtual desktops. Instead, you license the device the user is connecting
from.

If users were connecting from a PC and the PC is covered under Software
Assurance then there's no additional licensing needed for VDI.

For non-SA devices (including thin clients), you will need a VDA license on
each one. It's a yearly subscription license.