[THIN] Re: OT: VMWare ESX 3.x Internal / DMZ networks on same physical server

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:58:38 -0000

I don't think you're in the minority - read my comments carefully ("Same
with VMware - for certain things - app co-existence, underutilised boxes
- it's great.").

There's many scenarios it can be great for, but if you want the most out
of your tin, with either demanding apps, or OS requirements, it's not
ideal.

It's gone full-circle for me - these days the default tends to be
VMware, unless it's a scenario where up-front the requirements are
likely to be as in my previous sentence.

All I was really saying is that as a strategy it's getting pushed - and
application vendors are proving to be often reluctant to commit to it -
and it can be something of a battle to derail the bandwagon if up-front
you can see that the requirements may not be ideally suited to a VM
environment.

None of that is to say that I'm against it, or don't embrace it's
advantages and positives - I do - but just like any other aspect to this
techology, it's not an all-encompassing panacea, or silver bullet - and
it would be nice for the higher ups to be more pragmatic, than simply
assume that everything will fit in this one-size-fits-all box.

Neil

  _____

        From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:50:50 -0000
        To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Conversation: [THIN] Re: OT: VMWare ESX 3.x Internal / DMZ
networks on same physical server
on same physical server

        Agreed on all points - SAN disk being key to most large
infrastructures, but there's no such thing as a free lunch, there. It's
not a panacea for all disk requirements - and as you point out, for
certain usages is undesirable, and probably pointless.

        Same with VMware - for certain things - app co-existence,
underutilised boxes - it's great. But if you want performance and the
most out of your tin, it's not where I'd go - if nothing else you've got
the OS overhead, plus the virtualised overhead.

        It's a bit of a bandwagon, at the moment, and it just seems that
it's a case of no bandwagon too slow. Whereas in the past, we may have
had to fight to get things like VMware adopted, now we seemingly have to
fight to get things implemented on real tin, where there's a case for
it.

        Neil

  _____