[THIN] OT: Swap Files

  • From: Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:13:39 +0000

Purely as a side-interest, I've been personally running Windows 7 without a
page file for the last month with no ill effects (8GB RAM).  Performance has
felt snappier.

But then I don't have 40-70 users connecting to me :)

From: stefan.timmermans@xxxxxxxxx
To: angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [THIN] Re: Swap file recommendations
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:45:06 +0100
Angela,

The PAE switch is ok, if the apps (or at least some ) are PAE aware (kind of >
32bit but less then a real 64 bit environment), so this might be limitted to MS
apps addressing above the 4GB barrier (maybe Oracle ? anyone an idea on that ?
or does Oracle have its own memory manager as some SAP products do ??)

Paging beyond 4096MB requires several volumes as there is an limit imposed per
volume of 4096MB (but there is a backdoor to create separate folders for every
pagefile)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237740

Regards,

Stefan