[THIN] Re: OT: Network Hardware Overheating???

  • From: "John A. Vorchak" <jvorchak@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:08:22 -0500

Grant,

Sure, they could definitely be overheating, just about all COTS
electronics equipment is rated at a max operating temp of 40 degrees C
(104 deg F) and if you're running it that hot then your life expectancy
is going to be pretty low, really low.

MTBF calculations are taken at or below 25 degrees C and MTBF degrades
severely as the temperature increases.  If you have problems convincing
the bosses to cool your comm closets and server rooms to at least 25
degrees C or less then just contact the vendor to see if they will give
you MTBF estimates at 40 degrees C.  Not many will do that, but if they
will it would be a convincing argument for any CFO type to put some
money into at least a fan...or just tell them that you need to start
ordering mil-spec equipment because of temperature concerns... ;-)

-John

John A. Vorchak (eMVP)
Vorchak Software
Custom Windows XP Embedded and
Windows NT Embedded Components and Solutions
jvorchak@xxxxxxxx

malfunctioning or