[THIN] Re: OT Installing a new exchange system and migrating to it

  • From: Philip Walley <mythinlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:01:34 -0500

Well, there is no direct upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 so rule that out.

If it were me, I would look at installing the new server into the domain and do a swing migration. Microshaft had a migration document out a while back that you may want to look for. It had several recommendations and scenarios that may help you decide the way that you want to do. It does help to know if you are doing 2003 or 2000.

Angus Macdonald wrote:

I know it's not directly thin-related but where else can I go for truly
professional advice? I've finished buttering you all up now.

I have finally had the go-ahead to replace my ageing Exchange 5.5 system,
currently running on a Compaq CL380 cluster in active/passive mode. I plan
to do away with clustering and run multiple servers attached to my shiny new
SAN. The question is, how should I go about migrating? Install the new
servers as Exchange 5.5 servers in the existing setup, migrate the mailbox
and other resources, then upgrade to exchange 2000/2003? Install the new
servers as 2000/2003 and somehow migrate everything over? Upgrade the
existing servers to 2000/2003, add the new ones and migrate?

All suggestions/links gratefully received.
Angus
This Weeks Sponsor: Cesura, Inc.
Know about Citrix end-user slowdowns before they know.
Know the probable cause, immediately.
Know it all now with this free white paper.
http://www.cesurasolutions.com/landing/WPBCForCitrix.htm?mc=WETBCC
******************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com