[THIN] OT: Going rate for freelance technical writer?

  • From: Edward VanDewars <evandewars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:44:21 -0400

We are considering hiring a freelance technical writer to document
some new components and have no idea what an average industry rate is.
  We only have sporadic documentation needs (hence the freelance
approach) so we cannot guarantee any type of quantity but want to be
fair.

What is considered a fair rate (per page, per document, per hour, per
???) and what is considered standard deliverables (pdf, edit-able
document like Word, Publisher, InDesign, etc.)?

Please note that we are NOT soliciting for candidates; we have people,
we just want an idea of what to pay them.
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2