[THIN] Re: OT Folder Names Case

  • From: "TheThin" <TheThin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:50:47 -0500

I don't know if you are specifically worried about the case for viewing
or for system access, but if it's for system access the folder is
created with the case that you specify, but NT just makes the view more
"friendly" by changing the case in explorer.  If you look at the case
from a command prompt it will show in all caps.

If it matters specifically for the view in explorer, then you should be
able to follow the instructions on
http://fox2k.net/2ktweaks/explorer_tweaks.htm#Stop%20Windows%20Explorer%
20From%20Changing%20The%20Case%20of%20Filenames .  (Go to
http://fox2k.net/2ktweaks/explorer_tweaks.htm and search on the page for
the word "case" to find what you're looking for.)

From the page:

Stop Windows Explorer From Changing The Case of Filenames
By default, Explorer changes the case of your filenames so that a file
you name c:\iLikeTOTypeTHiS appears as c:\Iliketotypethis. Microsoft
calls this PrettyPath, and you can disable it by performing the
following steps:=20

Start regedit.exe.=20

Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Adv
anced.=20

Double-click DontPrettyPath (or create this key with a type of REG_DWORD
if it doesn't exist).=20

Set the value to 1 to keep the case as you type it or 0 to adjust the
case as Explorer requires.=20

Logout and login and it should work for you.

Bill

(Sorry if this appears twice, I think I just mis-sent it.)