[THIN] Re: OT Does anyone remember win9x?

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:43:10 -0500

> I'm playing with one of my projects again, this time looking at postscript.
> Does anyone know if it's possible to install a printer in Win9x and have it
> print to a predefined filename, instead of popping up a dialog when set to
> "Print to file"? I can set Win2K and XP machines to print to a named file
> but haven't found a way to do it in Win9x yet.
Haven't tested the validity of this tip, but sounds like this would do the trick

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/tsprinter.html

<snip/>
How can I print to the same file each time, without being prompted for
a filename?
Short answer
Add a new local port named with a filename.

Long answer
Add a new printer that prints to the special "File:" port (see question 1).
From the printers' panel, right click on the printer you have just
added and select Properties.
A panel showing the properties for this printer will pop up, click on
the Details tab of this panel.
Click on the Add Port... button.
The Add Port panel will pop up, click on the Other radio button, and
make sure Local Port is highlighted, click on OK.
A small panel asking for the name of the port will pop up, enter the
name of a file in the edit box, for example C:\Output.prn.
Click on OK to dismiss the panel asking for the port name.
Click on OK to dismiss the printer properties panel.
If you now 'print' to this printer the output will be sent directly to
C:\Output.prn (or wherever), overwriting what was there before.
<end snip>
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint, GmbH
for Microsoft Terminal Services
http://www.thinprint.com/dotprint/index.php?s=682&lc=1