[THIN] New RDP session knocks out previous user

  • From: Melvin.Columna@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:47:09 -0500

Hi Guys,

A few of our Win2003 servers are experiencing the following issue.... and it
happens to some admins all the time, but not others at all.

When we try to RDP to a server, we get the following message...
"The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server
License Server available to provide a license."
"Please contact the server administrator."

If I change the RDP client shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Remote
Desktop\mstsc.exe" /console  <-- adding the /console parameter
I can get in, but then this happens....

When person A RDPs to a server (Windows 2003 Standard Edition NO SP1) via
RDP, he gets on.  Yippee!!!!

If person B RDPs to the same server, he is prompted that he is going to
logoff person A.

If person B logs in, using the same ID as person A he knocks off person A
w/o any warning.

Here's the installed Windows Updates...  Per Windows Update

Windows Server 2003 family Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July
2005 (KB890830)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2005 (KB890830)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB896423)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB899587)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB899591)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB893756)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB899588)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB896358)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB901214)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB890046)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB896422)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB896428)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Windows Server 2003
(KB893066)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235)
Windows Server 2003 family Security Update for Microsoft Data Access
Components (KB832483)
Windows Server 2003 family Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
for Windows Server 2003 (KB896727)
Windows Server 2003 family Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
for Windows Server 2003 (KB883939)
Windows Server 2003 family Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express
for Windows Server 2003 (KB897715)
Windows Server 2003 family 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine
(Microsoft VM)
Windows Server 2003 family Intel Corporation - Networking - Intel(R)
PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Network Connection
Windows Server 2003 family Critical Update for ADODB.stream (KB870669)
Windows Server 2003 family Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
.
.
Melvin Columna
Kraft Foods/GDC - Application Management
eMail: Melvin<.>Columna<@>Kraft.com  {remove the < and > characters}