[THIN] .Net TS licensing hint

  • From: "mAt" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:48:21 +0100

Hi
Whilst perusing the micrsoft forums tonight i came across this little puppy.

posted by Peter Bergler [MS]

"Windows .Net will not issue a 'built-in' CAL to Windows XP.  You do need to
install licenses to get a full CAL assigned to that client.  The concept of
'built-in' CALs is not supported for Windows .Net.

Before anyone gets upset about this, this is about the CAL management not
the CAL purchase. Purchase programs will be announced close to launch, and
will consider the built-in CAL issue.

One of the main reasons we changed this was because we had some much
discontent around the built-in CAL, like the thread on here yesterday.
People were forever coming in and saying 'we bought Windows 2000 Pro, they
are right here in the closet.  Why do I have to go get TS CALs now just
becuase I won't install W2K for 6 more months..'
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."