[THIN] Re: Need some help with W2K+Citrix XPe/FR2 farm redeisgn

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <JShonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:42:13 -0700

The solutions seems a little drastic for a 3 server farm.  One DC can =
support 100 or so servers.  DCs are not load balanced, however you have =
have multiple DCs running (one for each zone) but for 3 servers it's too =
much work.

My guessimate is your problems lies in a few different areas:
        Network settings are not hard-coded on both the switch and NIC for =
speed and duplex
        Profiles are too large, thus a slow logon.  Exclude Temp files from =
roaming profiles and redirect the My Documents directory
        The Servers need to be tuned and optimized (too many to list here)
        The SQL app needs to be tuned and optimized.  Many applications are =
written by amatures, thus they feel the need to make a SQL call for each =
field they need instead of one SQL call for all the fields in that =
table.  You may only get 2-3 users on a server.  Sometime developers =
will load the screens up with graphics etc..  Switching to a lower color =
depth can product a notice performance increase.