[THIN] Need help with difficult Citrix audio problem

  • From: "Buskey, Lee H. CTR" <lee.buskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:07:04 -0500

CLASSIFICATION:UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Folks,

We need some help with audio.  We are running a Xpe MetaFrame farm on Windows
2003 member servers in a Windows 2000 domain.  We have covered all the related
documentation from Citrix regarding the configuration for sound that we can
find, and all the settings appear to be correct, however, we still have the
problem.

The issue is that audio only works some of the time.  We have 7 servers in the
farm, load balanced with a single desktop as the only published application.
It seem to be a crapshoot as to when auto is going to work and when it is not
going to work.  Sometimes when we log in and we have no sound, we can look at
the auto properties for the system, and there is no detected audio hardware,
sometime when there is no sound, the "Citrix Auto Driver"{ is listed as the
playback device, however whenever sound DOES work, the "Citrix Audio Driver is
there.  We have tested this against several different clients (Unix and Windows
32) and the problem is not the client.  We also have not been able to establish
any real pattern or trend among the server that audio does not work on.  (one
works al the time, one never works, the other are intermittent)

Can anyone offer some suggestions that might account for this intermittent
function of sound?

Lee H Buskey
This Weeks Sponsor Activaeon.com
Reduce licensing costs with activAeon XA and
get one month completely free.
http://www.activaeon.com