[THIN] NT Domain Upgrade Problems

  • From: "L McDonald" <laurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:23:55 -0000

I have a issue when upgrading a NT4 domain to a windows 2000 domain.

I've created a new PDC and taken the orginal PDC of the network (In case)

I've upgraded the PDC to a windows 2000 domain controller and it seems to be
working!

Problem is when I went to upgrade one of the other BDCs to 2000 domain
controller.  When this didn't work tried adding a new 2000 server as a
domain controller using DCpromo but same error messages.

The error message I getting is (Dialog box)

The operation failed because:

The directory service failed to create the server object for CN=NTDS
setting,
CN=Servername,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuratio
ns,DC=DomainName,DC=com on server servername.domain.com.  Please ensure the
network credentials provided have sufficient access to add a replica.
"the data area passed to a system call is to small"

Not really getting anything in the event logs that I can make sense of.

Ran both of these on the upgraded PDC.

Ran DCdiag /q
[UpgradePDCServerName] DsBindWithCred() failed with error 14.  Win32 Error
14
......................  UpgradedPDCServerName failed test RidManager.

Netdiag /q gives
        List of hotfixes etc...
        Inferface results
                hostname
                ip and subnet
                Gateway
                wins and DNS server (Itself)

        Global Results
        DNS Test Passed
        DC List test    FAILED
                Cannot call DsBind to PDC.domain-name.com(PDC IP Address).
[ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY]
        IP Security Test  .... Passed

I've looked at various things on the net, technet, help & tips pages but
cant seem to get anything that gives me something to go on.

Pointer in the right direction would be great if at all possible.

Thanks

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com