[THIN] Re: NCD ThinStar License problem

  • From: "M" <mathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:15:01 +0100

NCD ThinStar License problemHave you seen this hotfix from MS at all ?

"Terminal Services Licensing Denies Your Connection to Your Terminal Server
from Your WBT Device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825027

Also I had a similar issue with about 25 out of 100 Thinstars last year before
this fix came out. All Thinstar updates had been applied and it was quite
frustrating working out why only 25 were not working.

The Terminal Services License server was installed on a DC that had been
prepped with Service Pack 2 and Q287687 prior to license installation etc etc.
To correct the issue I had a Windows 2000 test server spare and installed
Terminal Services in Application mode and the Ts License service on it.
I then pointed one of the Thinstars at the test server and was able to log in
successfully via RDP. I then pointed the Thinstar at the Citrix Farm and was
able to log in via ICA. Bit of a fudge but it worked for the problematic
Thinstars at the time.

In the end I actually stopped the Live TS license service and cleared out all
of the TS license files. The server remained activated and I called Microsoft
to re-issue the TS Cals. Haven't had a problem since and have not had to
install the patch from the URL supplied above.

regards

  Date:           2003-08-11
  Time:           12:49:41 PM
  User:           N/A
  Computer:       BASIL
  The terminal server cannot issue a client license.

  I tried connecting with a new machine with nt4 on it and I get licenses (ts
and w2k cal's) no problem.

  I took a look at CTX564283 and tried everything that looked like it applied.
  Still not working.

  If any one has suggestions I would appreciate, thanks.

  Doug Stratton
  Technology Development Analyst

  Workplace Support
  Common IT Services