[THIN] Re: Moving SQL data store

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:54:45 +1000

Hi Brian,

You've got things pretty right. Comments below:

On 8/3/05, Claus, Brian <BClaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2.        Create a new SQL db for the DS on the new server. (HOW?  Just
> create a new "empty" db?  How is this done?  Does 'dsmaint' recreate the SQL
> db from the local host cache?)

dsmaint migrate only copies the ima datstore contents from your
exisiting datastore (access or SL) to a new, empty SQL datastore (or
Oracle etc).

You have to create an empty SQL database, either by installing a new
instance of MSDE, by using the freeware MSDECFG tool to make an
additional MSDE SQL database or using SQL enterprise admin (if you've
got a proper SQL server). If you're using enterprise admin, making a
new SQL user and giving that user dbowner rights to only the newly
created SQL database (and assigning them to the database) is a good
idea.

Had a customer aim their RM summary database at the IMA datastore once
'cause they were using the same SQL user for both datbases. Not good.

> 3.        Create a new .dsn file on all of my farm servers which points to
> the NEW SQL server.  (ie x:\program files\citrix\independent management
> architecture\MF21.dsn)

On any one of your servers,

Copy  x:\program files\citrix\independent management
architecture\MF20.dsn to c:\temp, and rename it to oldmf20.dsn. That's
obviously your source DSN.

Run odbcad32, select the file DSN tab, click add, select "SQL server"
from the dropdown list, click Next. Put in "c:\temp\newmf20.dsn" for
the name of the data source, click next and finish. Now put in the
connection details (dsn name and SQL server), click next, tick the SQL
authentication box and put in the SQL user name and password. Keep
hitting next 'til you get to the end. And that's your destination DSN.

> 4.        Run the migration script (from where?  The Data Collector, then
> the BDC then all member servers? OR is this only done 1x from the DC?):
> dsmaint migrate /srcdsn:"x:\program files\citrix\independent management
> architecture\mf20.dsn" /srcuser:sqlusername /srcpwd:password /dstds:
> :"x:\program files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf21.dsn"
> /dstuser:sqlusername /dstpwd:password

cd to c:\temp and run the following:

dsmanint migrate /srcdsn:c:\temp\oldmf20.dsn /srcuser:sqlusername
/srcpwd:password /dstds:c:\temp\newmf20.dsn /dstuser:sqlusername
/dstpwd:password.

This will create the new datastore. The only advantage of running it
from c:\temp (or x:\temp) is the shorter paths with no spaces. When
your typing is as error-prone as mine, every little bit helps ;-)

> 5.        Run dsmaint config /user:sqluser /pwd:sqlpassword /dsn:"x:\program
> files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf21.dsn"  (on DC and BDC
> first, then all member servers?)

Nope. The datastore is now made.

Now all you have to do is point the rest of the servers at the new
datastore. If the SQL passwords to the old and new datastores are the
same, all you've got to do is copy newmf20.dsn to x:\program
files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf20.dsn on the other
servers in the farm.

If the passwords are different, then:

dsmaint config /user:sql_username /pwd:sql_password /dsn:c:\temp\newmf20.dsn

will do the trick

> 6.        On each server:  net stop imaservice | dsmaint recreatelhc | net
> start imaservice

That'll work fine.

regards,

Rick