[THIN] More Info, still a problem: Printing problem after moving from NT4 to W2K

  • From: scott.delagrange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:04:35 -0500

I posted a question the other day (albeit kind of vague) and haven't had
any responses but now I have a clearer picture of the problem that I need
a fix for.  To re-cap, the system is new Win2K SP2 with MF1.8 SP4.  Two of
the many printers defined locally on the system, all as regular tcp/ip
ports, are used by one application.  One printer is an HP LJ and the other
is a label printer that is defined using the generic / text only driver.
All the drivers are version 3 according to the PDManager application.  The
application can print to either printer but once I tell it to print to the
HP printer I can no longer print to the label printer.  When it doesn't
print to the label printer, you can still see the job go through the
spooler and the entry in the event log is the same as when it does print.
Even though this is a custom VB6 application, I'm sure the problem is a
server problem because if I take this same app and run it from the
console, it prints to both printers fine all the time.  It also works fine
on a NT4.0 TSE MF1.8 system.  It just refuses to print to the label
printer after you've printed to the laser printer from a session, be it
RDP or ICA on this W2K box and I don't have another one here to test it
on.  Same results running it with any user account, including the admin
account.  Running it from my XP Pro desktop works fine even if I start an
RDP session from a different computer.

I'm at a loss of where to look next.  I guess it could be an
incompatibility issue between VB6 and W2K but I haven't been able to find
anything relating to this in those newsgroups.  I just don't understand
what could be changing in the data being sent to the printer.  I even
paused the printer and copied the spool files when it does print and when
it doesn't and compared them.  Although they aren't ascii files, I can
view them and see among the gibberish all the printer commands (which are
ascii) that I'm sending to the label printer.

I'm getting desperate and my boss is getting short on patience.  Anyone?

Thank you,

Scott DeLagrange
mailto:Scott.DeLagrange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
678-415-3299 ph