[THIN] Re: Migrating TS Profiles from 2003 to 2008

  • From: "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:30:02 -0500

FYI received this from the developer Helge Klein:

As you may have read
<http://blogs.sepago.de/helge/2010/05/05/new-os-new-profile-user-state-lost-
true-or-false/>  sepago has released the beta version of its new "Profile
Migrator" product yesterday. With this e-mail I would like to invite you to
try it out - any feedback is welcome!

Here is a quick overview of what Profile Migrator is and what is can do:

.         Profile migration and conversion between:

o   OS versions: e.g. XP to Windows 7 or Server 2003 to Server 2008 (R2)

o   Architectures: e.g. 32-bit to 64-bit

o   Application versions: e.g. Office 2003 to Office 2007

o   Languages: e.g. German XP to English Windows 7

o   OS types: e.g. Windows XP to Server 2008 R2

o   Profile types: e.g. Windows roaming profiles to Citrix Profile
Management profiles

.         Just 3 steps from installation to migration with the intuitive
graphical user interface.

.         No need to install anything on your end user's devices. Migration
is performed from the admin workstation.

.         Virtually any application and any setting is supported through our
ACS technology allowing simple extensions and customizations of the
migration rules.

.         You decide what to take and what to leave behind. No way will
Profile Migrator copy over the accumulated bloat from one platform to
another - unless you want it to.

Profile Migrator beta can be downloaded here
<http://www.profilemigrator.com/e/page/794/try-buy> .

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Nick Smith
Subject: [THIN] Re: Migrating TS Profiles from 2003 to 2008

We struggled really hard to make this work, and came to the conclusion it
wasn't worth it. The two profiles have significantly different structures -
V2 profiles use different folders for lots of stuff -  and keeping them
synched is more or less impossible.

Create a %username%.V2 folder (With appropriate permissions) and it will
make a new 2008 profile in there. Work out what your users *really*
want/need from their old profiles, and copy those items separately. It will
be a pain but will work.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Rob Moore
Subject: [THIN] Migrating TS Profiles from 2003 to 2008

I have three terminal services servers, running on Win 2003. I am in the
process of creating a Remote Desktop Services server on Win 2008 R2, to
replace one of these. (Eventually I want to do this for all three.) I've got
the new server created. When I try to use it, though, I get an error
message. Something along the lines of "Your profile could not be loaded so
you're using a temporary one." (Our TS Profiles are stored on a Win
2008-based file server.) I found that if I deleted my profile, then the new
RDS server re-created my profile and everything was fine.

However, we don't want to delete all our TS users' profiles.

I believe at least some of our users will be using both 2003-based TS
servers and the 2008R2-based RDS server, until all three are migrated.

I found an article (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947025) but it's
really talking about roaming profiles, not TS profiles, and it doesn't seem
to fully apply. It talks about creating two types of profiles and using
Folder Redirection.

Anyone have a good article that will help me get this going?