[THIN] Re: Memory usage setting

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:13:37 +1000

Hi Chad,

Changing the processor scheduling option modifies a value under
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl,
Win32PrioritySeparation which consists of 6 bits, AABBCC:

AA
01 longer timeslice interval
10 shorter intervals
BB
01 timeslice can have variable length
10 timeslice has fixed length
CC
00  foreground/background processes have same priority
01  foreground process gets 2 x boost compared to background process
10  foreground process gets 3 x boost compared to background process

When you use the GUI to set the performance options, only 2 values are
possible:

Background Services: value is 24, binary is 011000
                     longer timeslice interval, timeslice fixed length, no
boost

Programs: value is 38, binary is 100110
          shorter intervals, variable timeslice length, 3 x boost

Neither of the settings is in fact optimal, although the "programs" option
is the better of the 2. Shorter timeslices are mandatory for TS, variable
timeslice length is probably better fixed and if we're talking PS 4+
Enterprise or Platinum the 3x application priority boost for the default
"programs" value makes the CPU share management somewhat less effective.

This will probably generate some discussion but I think the optimum value is
101000 binary or 40 decimal. That gives us small, fixed length timeslices
and we let CPU management be done by the Citrix or third party tools.

If you've got to choose between the default settings, the "programs"
settings is probably better than "background services" purely from the
aspect of shorter timeslices.

For those of you that use GPs for everything, the following custom policy
template piecse may help:
    POLICY "Processor Scheduling"
    KEYNAME "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl"
        PART "Optimize performance for:" DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED NOSORT
        VALUENAME "Win32PrioritySeparation"
            ITEMLIST
                NAME "Background Services" VALUE NUMERIC 24
                NAME "Applications" VALUE NUMERIC 38
                NAME "TS Optimized" VALUE NUMERIC 40 DEFAULT
            END ITEMLIST
        END PART
    END POLICY ; Processor scheduling

regards,