[THIN] Re: Just found out Citrix XP FR3 Farm on NT domain about to be upgraded to A.D. 2003

  • From: "Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:08 -0800 (PST)

Foremost, if your clients were purchased with Windows XP(or entitled upgrade to
Windows XP) on them prior to april 2003 you might be able to get the TS cals
for free via the transition plan:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsletter.mspx
Terminal Server Licensing Transition Plan
Microsoft realizes that the removal of operating system equivalency will affect
customers, and is committed to accommodating existing Microsoft customers who
would like to take advantage of Windows Server 2003 features.

Every Windows XP Professional desktop license that you own on the date of the
public launch of Windows Server 2003 (April 24, 2003) will be eligible for a
Windows Server 2003 TS CAL. One of following scenarios will apply:

   Customers with either platform or operating system component Enterprise
Agreements (EAs), or Upgrade Advantage (UA) or Software Assurance (SA) coverage
for their Windows desktop computers, will be eligible for a Windows Server 2003
TS CAL?plus SA coverage on that TS CAL for each covered desktop owned at the
time of the Windows Server 2003 launch. (Customers in this category should read
about the details of the transition plan.)
   Customers who own Windows XP Professional licenses, without upgrade
rights?no SA/EA/UA?will be eligible for a Windows Server 2003 TS CAL for each
licensed desktop owned at the time of the Windows Server 2003 launch, but will
not get upgrade rights on the TS CAL.

Here is a link to an MS Whitepaper on upgrading from NT to 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/default.mspx

and a good page of links on 2003 on the thinwiki.com site
http://thethin.net/flexwiki/default.aspx/ThinWiki.Windows2003

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
http://thin.net

Steve Parr <steveparr6@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What will I have to do to prepare the Citrix servers/Farm to operate
properly and survive this upgrade? All of the Citrix servers are

Windows 2000 Sp3 with Citrix MF XP FR3. I assume licensing could be an issue
as well as the changing accounts including the Citrix admin account(will not
be an in-place upgrade) ? the network architect is building the A.D. from
scratch so will be dealing with all new user accounts. I assume my Citrix
Farm can survive this type of upgrade. The ip scheme will stay the same.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.\

Steve Parr
Network Services, Infrastructure Support, IT
Metroland Printing, Publishing and Distributing Ltd.