[THIN] Re: Importing network print servers

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:43:36 -0400

comments inline

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro P. Ramírez-Estrela [mailto:pedro.estrela@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 4:37 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Importing network print servers

Hi,
i'm new to Citrix Metaframe, and I've just installed a server W2k +
Metaframe XP. I have three questions about printers:

1) My client sessions get automatically mapped his network printers without
importing the corresponding print server into Management Console, so what's
the purpose of "importing network print servers" into the CMC?

>> there is an ability for Metaframe to create mappings for clients by group
>> based on the printers it imports.  If you have it working another way.
>> Don't worry about it.  The feature is great for creating mappings but does
>> nothing to set one as default which makes it pretty useless IMO.

2) I've noticed that some client-side local printers automatically install
his driver at the Metaframe server when the client opens a session. Is this
normal? Is desirable (I have no control of what drivers get installed at the
metaframe server)?

>>if the driver is there, it will use it.  Sounds desirable to me.  You can set
>>it so the universal driver works for anything that a driver is not available
>>for.

3) Some properties of the configuration settings of network printers
(duplex, etc...) get lost when the printer is mapped to a session, and the
user need to establish them every time starts a new session. how can be
avoid this loss of "configuration settings"?

>>sometimes advanced printing features and settings get lost if the driver on
>>the server does not support them or if a driver is being mapped to something
>>more friendly like running an HP4000 as an LJ 4 Plus.

thanks in advance,

Pedro