[THIN] IMA Service failing on Application Servers

  • From: Mason Dively <mdively@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:54:25 -0500

Here goes with a pesky little problem that we have been seeing for a while now:

We have a Metaframe XPe FR1/SP2, Win2K SP2 farm with close to 100 application
servers.  Just about every day 1 or 2 of our application servers will have the
IMA service stop during peak usage times.  We haven't been able to find
anything in the Event logs that indicates a trigger event, we've just noted
that this generally happens on boxes that are heavily taxed with processor
usage.  We would like to make our application servers a little bit more stable
and wondering if you guys (and gals) have any suggestions as to how we could
accomplish this.

One thing that we thought about trying was setting the IMA service to Restart
itself at the service level should it fail.  This seems like a simple solution,
but our concern is that restarting the IMA service during a peak logon time
could cause a large number of users to be sent to the server that is having the
IMA service restarted.  Any thoughts on that?  Also, since our boxes are fully
loaded with users and we are seeing our processors being worked hard-is there a
way to set the IMA service to run with a higher priority?  We know that you can
set it in task manager for a given session, but as soon as you reboot or the
service is restarted we lose that priority setting.  Has anyone had any
experience with this?  Thanks for any and all responses!

Thanks,

Mason B. Dively  MCP,CCA
Amdocs CMI Windows Administration

Thank you.