[THIN] I need a script to poll the Data Store

  • From: "Woodward, Michael" <Michael.Woodward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:39:25 -0500

Is there a way I can poll the Data store to make sure the server is REALLY
talking to the Farm?

The reason:  We have noticed that occasionally our network 'burps' and All
servers in our Domain will loose connectivity for a brief period of time.
We have a number of Citrix boxes that for whatever reasons the IMA service
does not log an error and looks as though it is still running properly.  The
server however, will not accept any connections.  With no error returned to
the user or in the event log.  These servers when logged on locally are not
able to contact the Data Store either.  An attempted restart of the IMA
service hung, and the server needed to be rebooted.

The boxes on the affected farms are NT 4 sp6 with MF XP sp2, but not all
servers in the farms exhibited the problem described above.

There is a suspicion that it might be related to NT4 and XP combo and a move
to W2K would make this all go away, but until that rollout happens we need a
plan.

We are thinking if we had a script to poll the DS (sending an e-mail if
failure) it might give us a heads up and we could just restart the server at
that point.

Any thoughts?

-----

C. Michael Woodward
Mid-Tier Support

Sun Chemical
Cincinnati, Ohio 45232
* 513.681.5950 x 576
* Michael.Woodward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information and is
intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  No confidentiality or
privilege
is waived or lost by any error in transmission.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this
message you are hereby notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in
any form
or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in
error please
delete it and any copies of it and notify the sender by reply. Any opinions
expressed in
this communication are personal and are not attributable to my company or any
of its
subsidiary or affiliated companies. The reliability of this method of
communication cannot
be guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted, delayed, may arrive
incomplete, contain
viruses or be affected by other interference. We have taken reasonable steps to
reduce
risks against viruses but cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a
result of
this transmission.