[THIN] Hmmm - Printers from where

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:05:16 -0500

I recently migrated from NT4 - MF18 to 2k3 - MFXp.  We recreated policies,
profiles - the whole works.  I went from an NT domain to a 2k3 domain and
most everything is working fine.

However, for some reason, I'm having printer assignment problems.  Currently
(as before too) we assign printers using a Kix logon script.  The logic is
sound and hasn't changed from the NT domain.  However, for some strange
reason, one computer lab (25 thin clients) are getting their printers
assigned to everyone - no matter what printer group is assigned.  For
example, we have 4 labs.  The login script checks to see if they're in a
certain group (if member) then does a setprinter and set default.  If the
user is in Group A, they get two printers from Group A; in Group B, two
printers from Group B.  However anytime a user from group A or Group B
login, they get their assigned printers (from the login script) and Group Cs
printers (from who knows where).

I've diagnosed the problem down to this - I've removed the login script and
Groups A, B & C still get Group Cs printers.  When the login script is
active, Group C is pushed to everyone including the group that the user in
in.

Where can these printers be coming from?  I've checked my GPO and we're not
assigning anything there, and I also ensured I wasn't pushing a logon logoff
script there either?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Fogarty
Coordinator, Technical Support and Computer Servicing
Sandhills Community College
3395 Airport Rd
Pinehurst, NC 28374
1(910) 695-3943