[THIN] High latency link, cannot connect using TCP/IP+HTTP, only using TCP/IP

  • From: Chris Carlton <CCarlton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thethin (THIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <THIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:15:15 +0100

Involved in a test of an application on a Citrix server which ia accessed
via a satellite link. W2K server with SP3. MetaFrame XP2 FR2. NT4 client
with full (latest) PN. CISCO routers with satellite simulator inbetween.

On the lower bandwidths (32k for example), when the latency was non-zero,
could not connect to the Citrix server using TCP/IP+HTTP, only using TCP/IP.

When I say non-zero latency, I mean could not connect at 500 or 300 ms, but
OK at 0 ms. But using TCP/IP, could connect at any latency.

Does any one have an explanation for this.

Thanks

Chris Carlton
ITS Technology Services

Delta 200
Delta Business Park
Great Western Way                       Tel:            +44 1793 492932
Swindon                         Fax:            +44 1793 492995
Wiltshire   SN5 7XP             Mobile: +44 7977 256828

email:  ccarlton@xxxxxxxxx