[THIN] Re: Hiding the desktop when opening or saving files in a published application

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:59:39 +0100

Given that the desktop folder is a component of the user profile - and as
you mentioned can be redirected. Also, where roaming profiles are concerned,
and for non-redirected desktop folders, the actual folder will be a cached
copy of the one in the roaming profile.

Whether you use normal roaming profiles, or mandatory ones, the DACLs you
apply to the roaming folder, don't get applied to the locally cached profile
(clearly it uses some aspects of the login environment to create this
locally cached folder hierarchy for the profile structure, with DACLs
conducive for the current user) - but - hot tip (and I've not seen this
documented anywhere) - *attributes* are.

So hidden folders, in the roaming hierarchy, get created as hidden folders
in the locally cached copy (even if the DACLs get sanitised) - same for the
read-only attribute. I'll leave it to you to extrapolate the uses you could
put to that ;-)

Note: I can't exactly remember how this behaved for NT4 style profiles, I do
remember testing it - either it didn't work (ie the attributes didn't get
reflected in the locally cached copy), or the user session wasn't tenable.

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152
This weeks sponsor - IDP ServerBoss
Restrict, Manage and Control Access to your applications
and other valuable Citrix,  Windows NT, 2000
and 2003 Server Resources
http://www.serverboss.com/default.asp?partner=thethin