[THIN] Help! Office Macro fails on fresh built servers . .

  • From: James Scanlon <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thin <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:58:31 +1000

List Legends!

Im now stumped.

These servers we have built with MDT have been working fine for the past month
or so

Then some obscure bunch of users with an even more obscure excel file coupled
with some stupid macros are now not working.

I have replaced the office VB6dlls entirely (from a working server), installed
VB6SP2, replaced all the VB macro reference dll's.

Run Procmon to interrogate excel to see what its trying to access...  but when
the file is loaded and macros enabled you know it isnt working as the file save
process takes over 3 or 4 minutes and then fails with

"document not saved" and then opening VB Editor to run a compile or to check
references ends with "error loading DLL"  . . and NOTHING logged in procmon.

It happens for me as administrator on any of the broken servers, so im assuming
its not rights. Macro security is set to Medium, but its the same level on
servers that are working.

I have no doubt an office reinstall would fix this, but i am trying to address
the root cause so I can apply this to the build, (not have all servers build
themselves, then repair themselves as part of the process before they are even
working) :-)

Please, please, please any suggestions would be so fabulous right about now...
:-)

James

What goes online, stays online Check the daily blob for the latest on what's
happening around the web
http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx