[THIN] Re: File Associations

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 05:49:17 +1000

Hi Hector,

The trouble is that file associations aren't just defined under HKCR. You
have per-user file associations that can be defined under
HKCU\Software\Classes, and of course you've got windows file associations,
under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Extensions and Windows
explorer doing it's own things with file extensions under
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts. And that's
not covereing mime type definitions

Per-user file asociations override per-machine ones, and the windows and
explorer settings override the stuff under HKCU\Software\Classes so anarchy
rules. It'd almost make you think that the operating system, windows and
windows explorer developers were all doing their own thing, but I'm sure
Microsoft would have things better integrated than that ;-)

Seriously, if you want to totally control what applications open a
particular type of file, you're going to have to manage the per-user stuff
as well as the machine settings. It's not that hard to do.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack