[THIN] Re: FW: Re: Determining which user a TS 2003 per-device CAL li cense is issued to

  • From: Jeremy Thomas <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:51:49 +0200

First thoughts were:
http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips155.shtml
<http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips155.shtml>

Logon type 2 is a console logon, so no I would not expect to see an IP
address, as the "network source address" would be the local machine.
However, I didn't find a description of the Logon type 10 that I got.

This article throws some light on that:
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/38109/38109.html
<http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/38109/38109.html

In Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, Microsoft added a new logon type
specifically for Terminal Services logons. When users log on through
Terminal Services, event ID 528 shows Logon Type 10 instead of Logon Type 2.
You can identify Terminal Services logons that failed because of a bad
username or password by looking for event ID 529 with Logon Type 10.

It would imply that you're either using W2000, where you don't get the
client IP address information, or that you've managed to pick a console
logon event. There's also information in that artice about other events that
happen at the same time as the logon event, so you might be able to gather
the information by trying to cross match events that occur at logon.

Personally, I'd tend to go with Steve's suggestion of using the %USERNAME%
and %CLIENTNAME% variqbles in a logon script,

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas
0472.28.25.47
(+32.472.28.25.47)

  _____

Date:  11/06/2004
Time:  16:29:26
User:  MY_DOMAIN\My_User
Computer: MY_TS
Successful Logon:
  User Name: My_User
  Domain:  MY_DOMAIN
  Logon ID:  (0x0,0x12345678)
  Logon Type: 10
  Logon Process: User32
  Authentication Package: Negotiate
  Workstation Name: MY_TS
  Logon GUID: {12345678-0123-0123-0123-0123456789ab}
  Caller User Name: MY_TS$
  Caller Domain: MY_DOMAIN
  Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x123)
  Caller Process ID: 3420
  Transited Services: -
  Source Network Address: 10.0.0.2
  Source Port: 2122

<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp>

--------------End event---------------

MY_DOMAIN is the domain I log on to.
My_User is the username I used.
MY_TS is the terminal server I logged on to.
So far, I think that's what you got as well.
The key thing I think you might have missed (you need to scroll down the
event to see it) is the line before last.
"Source Network Address:" corresponds to the IP address of my workstation.
If you can resolve that IP address to "MAIN", then you have a trace of which
user logged on from MAIN and when.

Please let me know if I've earned myself a virtual beer.

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas