[THIN] Re: Etherpeek on terminal server

  • From: "bob" <bobacat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:38:02 -0000

Dear all

 For anyone who is interested  this how it goes if you want a user account
on the terminal server to run etherpeek . Obviously I wouldn't give normal
user access to this sort of thing. These severs are used by our admin
support people
The DLL only allows you to use terminal services; it doesn't obviate the
need to be logged in as Administrator in order to capture. The PEEK driver
allows the customer to capture without Administrator privileges. To
install the PEEK driver:
---
Windows 2000 Server (w/ Service Pack 3 or 4)
Ensure that you have administrator privileges, open the "Network and Dial-up
Connections" view in the "Control Panel" folder and follow these steps:
1. Select the appropriate adapter in "Network and Dial-up Connections" and
view its properties (right-click or use the File menu).
2. Click the Install button in the General tab.
3. Choose "Protocol" from the list and click Add.
4. Click the Have Disk button in the "Select Network Protocol" dialog.
5. Enter the path to the directory where you installed the program plus the
subdirectory "Driver\Peek\Win2K" and add the PEEK driver using the file
"NetPeek5.inf".
6. Click OK. Choose the PEEK driver and click OK again. After copying files,
the PEEK driver should appear in the list of components in the adapter
properties dialog.
7. Close the adapter properties dialog and reboot server.
PLEASE NOTE: You need to restart the server before you try and use EtherPeek
(Step 7). If you open EtherPeek and get an error message before you restart
the server, you will corrupt the peek driver and terminal services will not
work with EtherPeek. If this happens, you will have to uninstall the peek
driver, restart the server, go through steps 1-7 and make sure you restart
the server before you use EtherPeek.
A Big Thanks to Alistair at etherpeek there a nice bunch of people :-]
Have nice one
Bob

"God doesn't play dice"  Albert Einstein

www.purposedrivenlife.com