[THIN] Re: Data Collector recommendations (RON ROCKS!)

  • From: Rob Slayden <rslayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:30:51 -0700

Ron,

You rock, dude! I have finally received all the "pieces" of the puzzle and
have submitted both a design specification and a shopping list today for
approval. It looks like the approval is "almost" a slam dunk (there was a
little reluctance to purchase a new cluster when I had previously indicated
that I "thought" we might be able to take an existing cluster and dedicate
it to this project... me and my BIG MOUTH again! <g>). The costs will be
about $180,000 BEFORE the discounted pricing but that includes an additional
BL20p for testing (that may end up falling out before it's all said and
done). I can hardly wait to get the new hardware in and start setting up a
new MF XP farm! MF XP has been out now for at least a few years and I have
yet to get my hands in it! Soon and very soon....

Thanks to all that offered advice and recommendations (Ron, Magnus, et al).
I will also post the performance testing and usability we achieve on the HP
BL20p blade servers as there seemed to be some concern in an earlier thread
over the sensibility of implementing blade servers. We will be deploying MF
XP servers and hopefully a cluster on BL20p blades. I can tell you upfront
that we can achieve sixteen 3.06GHZ processors in 6U of rack space requiring
less power and air than the same number of CPUs using the DL line. Time will
tell if this will be the right choice or not. We seem to be happy with our
16 BL10e blade servers that have been deployed into production for some time
now. With the "Rip and replace" functionality available using the RDP
server, it seems the perfect configuration for MetaFrame. We'll see...

Thanks!

Rob Slayden

24 Hour Fitness, Inc.