[THIN] Critical Security Update

  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:09:46 -0400

FYI:

Critical Security Update for Microsoft Windows

Dear Microsoft Technology Partner:

On July 16, 2003, Microsoft(r) released a critical security bulletin
(MS03-026) and a software patch (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=210348)
to address a vulnerability in the Windows(r) operating system that could
allow code execution. The incident has been widely reported in the press
and the patch has been made available to Microsoft customers and
partners.

If you were not aware of this bulletin and corresponding patch, we urge
you get the information now (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=210349) and
determine if you are running an affected version of the Windows
operating system. If your systems are vulnerable, please apply this
patch as soon as possible. We also encourage you to contact your
customers and advise them of the Microsoft bulletin and corresponding
patch.

Although we encourage you to pay attention to all security bulletins and
to deploy patches in a timely manner, we want to call special attention
to this particular instance. We have become aware of some activity on
the Internet that we believe increases the likelihood of exploiting this
vulnerability. Specifically, code has been published on several Web
sites that would allow someone to spread a worm or virus that takes
advantage of the vulnerability in question, thereby affecting your
computing environment.

It is our goal to produce the most secure and dependable technology
possible, but we become aware of these types of vulnerabilities. To
minimize the risks of such vulnerabilities to your computing
environment, we encourage you and your customers to subscribe to two
services that Microsoft provides:

* The Windows Update service (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=210350)
* The Microsoft Security Notification service.
(http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=210351)

By subscribing to these two services you will automatically receive
information on the latest software updates and the latest security
notifications, improving the likelihood that your computing environment
will be safe from worms and viruses.

We apologize for any inconvenience the implementation of this patch
might cause but appreciate you taking the time to update your system.

Thank you,

Microsoft Corporation

  _____

Brian Claus, A+, Network+, MCP
Network Administrator
WESCO Distribution, Inc.
225 West Station Square Drive, Suite 700
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-1122
Phone:  412-454-2412
Fax:  412-454-2540
bclaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bclaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>